Forum Mod Bakery Docs

HUD Tweaks 1.73 (Widescreen + Widerscreen + More)

Please login to contribute to the conversation.
If the HUD pisses you off because they're not spaced out correctly when you play in widescreen mode, this mod fixes that problem by changing the spacing arrangement in Mod Settings.

With Main Mods
HUD Tweaks is compatible with main mods, but if they use a path handler to create the HUD (which is almost never the case), HUD Tweaks may cause problems.

Some main mods use their own HUD Tweaks. While you can still use the standalone version with them, it's usually not a good idea. The reason those mods always add their own HUD Tweaks is because as far as I'm aware, almost no one uses the standalone version.

Without Main Mods
If you're not playing a main mod, HUD Tweaks fixes the number sprites on things like the coin counter and time limit to be less wide apart to match the console versions a bit more. It also makes the question mark sprite less pixelated. The mission objective text is also placed a bit higher so that text with 4 lines will fit in perfectly.

16:9 Preview
21:9 Preview
16:9 in Donut Mod 4 Preview

DOWNLOAD HERE?!

This mod is decompilable, but if you truly insist on adding a separate version of HUD Tweaks to your main mod(s), good luck not tearing your hair out trying to figure out how. I actually don't know how difficult it is, but if it really doesn't require much effort, then that's good.

Version History
v1.73
  • Moved the objective icon when the game is paused to match its distance from the objective box during gameplay.
    • I noticed some objective icons blocked some of the text when the game was paused.
    • This does not affect mods with custom HUD's.

v1.72
  • Fixed a bug where the ticket for when you get busted would be off-centered
  • Added a system that ignores chunks that have specific names to prevent future bugs like the one mentioned above
    • This is used for when a certain chunk (i.e. "HitNRun") needs to be moved, but another chunk whose name uses the entire name of the first chunk (i.e. "HitNRunTicket") doesn't need to be moved.
  • Added the option to print the mod's progress in the console (Enabled by default)
    • I've noticed that the messages were increasing load times by a few seconds, but I don't like turning off the console

v1.71
  • Fixed a bug where HUD Tweaks' default ingame.p3d did not get read when Pixel Offset is set to 0 and when not using a main mod
    • This fixes the unchanged sprites and mission objective text placement

v1.7
  • The mod is now compatible with main mods that use their own ingame.p3d
    • If the main mod uses a path handler for ingame.p3d, HUD Tweaks will not work properly.
  • Added more spacing arrangements: 16:10, 21:9, and 21:10
  • Added a setting to customize exactly how far apart the HUD elements are from the center of the screen if for whatever reason the presets aren't to your liking
  • The mission overlays are no longer raised, and therefore, the option to adjust them was removed
  • Added compatibility for 3D Phone Booth Previews
  • The mission text and sprites when the game is paused are no longer affected by the mod

v1.61
  • Actually fixed the speedometer unit being too close to the value

v1.6 (April Fools)
  • Fixed the speedometer unit being too close to the value

v1.52
  • Added another version that doesn't affect the mission overlays nor the objective text (labeled "Just Numbers + 16-9 arrangement")
  • Actually released (the download link has been incorrect for the past 6 months!)

v1.51
  • Fixed the colon being a bit too far apart from the left number
  • Removed the colon from the PSD file as its width no longer matches the numbers'

v1.5
  • Fixed the numbers being slightly misaligned with the slash during races and collect-a-thons
  • Raised the mission objective text so that 4 lines of text can fit in perfectly.
  • Improved the question mark again... again
  • The default setting for the HUD Aspect Ratio Arrangement is back to 4:3 (DAMN IT, SOMEBOT, MAKE UP YOUR DAMN MIND!!!)
  • Included a PSD (Photoshop Image) file for all of the numbers and symbols (expect the slash because it's too narrow)

v1.4
  • Changed back the slash's height to what was originally (I thought it would change how far apart the mission overlays would be)
  • Improved the question mark again
  • The default setting for the HUD Aspect Ratio Arrangement is now 16:9
  • Mod is now easier to decompile

v1.3
  • Raised "ActionTextLabel" and "ActionTextButton" back to their original positions (it was left like that by accident)
  • Adjusted speedometer digits in 4:3 arrangement to match the edits made in 16:9 arrangement
  • Renamed "colon2.png" from the Individual Images folder to "colon.png"
  • Improved tutorial again (to include the tweaks made to the speedometer, radar, 16:9 arrangement, etc.)
  • Added an icon that makes this piece of crap recognizable

v1.2
  • Added "HUD Aspect Ratio Arrangement" Setting (Default setting is 4:3)

v1.1
  • Shrunk widths of the slash and colon sprites a bit more
  • Improved the Question Mark symbol again
  • Improved tutorial (previous methods either made the P3D Editor extremely slow or just not work at all)
Though this is a relatively "simple" edit, I really love the idea behind it! I noticed the weird spacing in the console release over the PC one and was wondering how easy it would be to recreate. This actually seems kind of nice to use.

Will give it a go later.
Thanks a bundle! This was a tedious process making this since it was all trial-and-error for me (I ended up making the numbers too close to each other).

I'm still waiting for a way to decrease the vertical spacing with the mission overlays... damn you, hardcoded crap!
Thanks for this. I've always thought that question mark was really out of place.

Here are some more screenshots using widescreen mod

By "mission overlays," I meant the stuff on my 2nd image. Also, new update ahoy!
Whatever the reason that got me to update this again was, I don't care. I added something in v1.2!
Perhaps updating to v1.3 would be pointless, but I saw footage of somebody using a bit of this mod only to see that the colon was misplaced. Hopefully people know what they're doing when using the updated tutorial.
Don't ask why, but the tutorial for this mod doesn't exist anymore. Not that anyone cares since this mod is long gone. At least I updated this again.
While I was making minor tweaks to my Metal Arms mod's HUD, I took the liberty to fix this up once more. Still, I don't have a tutorial, so... tough luck, guys.
The download link was wrong for the past 6 months, and I finally fixed it. Also updated the mod itself to include a version that doesn't affect the mission overlays nor the objective text.