Forum Mod Bakery Docs

Something about Lucas' RCF Explorer and RCF files

Posted in Support
Please login to contribute to the conversation.
Will there eventually be a way to add files in the RCF files with this program? I'm sure updating the program to add this feature won't be hard. (I don't suppose somebody hasn't had that idea already.)
It's not necessary and will never be necessary. Also writing to a file is much different than reading a file, so it would theoretically be hard.

You can use Lucas' Mod Launcher to replace these files using the Custom Files hack.
Are you sure that it'll be 100% useless? Because I was hoping I could replace an RMS file on the music01.rcf file so that a level plays different music on missions that don't normally play such music (for instance, Petty Theft Homer plays music from Operation Hellfish), and when I do so, THEN I'd use the CustomFiles hack so the original music01.rcf file will be replaced by the new one containing the new RMS file. (Is that how it works? Or could I be able to tell the CustomFiles hack to go straight into the RCF file and replace the RMS file with a different one with the same name?)
No, you'd place the RMS/RSD/whatever files in their respective places in the CustomFiles folder.
That doesn't make any sense. Considering that...

1. RMS files belong in the music01.rcf
2. It appears that only the RCF file can be replaced in the CustomFiles folder
3. RCF files cannot be overwritten

How could I place those RSD/RMS files inside the RCF file, their respective place? I'm not sure whether if you were saying that the idea on my second question in the parenthesis on my last post was not possible, because you said "no" (presumably to both questions) despite it sounding the most logical way to replace those files. I had another idea which uses folders in place on the RCF files, but I doubt that would even work (can it?).
You don't. You would make the folders RCF explorer shows, put the new file in there.

So for example:
CustomFiles\conversations\filename.rsd

Lucas' Mod Launcher would load that file first instead of the one used in the RCF archive. Making editing the RCF useless and should not be shipped with a mod.
Moved to Mod Help.

Seems more appropriate here.
Ah, I see. Thank you, Jake. Of course, the RMS files are going to be a pain to learn how to properly use, but I'll try overcoming that problem by myself for now.