Forum Mod Bakery Docs

The FCC has voted to kill Net Neutrality

Posted in Announcements
Please login to contribute to the conversation.
This announcement is directed at our community members located in the United States. We understand a lot of people outside the United States do not like hearing about things that only affect our country at the time being, so we've taken steps to hide these from you.

Community,

Over the last few weeks, we've had a banner showing up on the top of our website. Clicking it would bring you to battleforthenet.com and would allow you to contact the FCC and your congress members. Today, in a 3 to 2 vote, the FCC has voted to kill net neutrality, returning the internet to Title I.

For more information about the concept of net neutrality and our fears, check out the following posts:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_neutrality
www.battleforthenet.com/
www.savetheinternet.com/net-neutrality-what-you-need-know-now
www.nytimes.com/2017/12/14/technology/net-neutrality-repeal-vote.html

The fight is not over, and Donut Team continues to care and tries to rally our community to take action. Starting today, if you're in the United States you will start to see this appear the first time you visit our website:

We understand this may seem annoying to see this pop up, but we'd like to get the word out to as many people as possible. If you end up seeing it, read it. After seeing it for the first time, you should no longer see it.

We're also adding this to our forum sidebar. Clicking it will bring you to battleforthenet.com with the way more information than we could provide in this topic.

Don't let your favourite communities and websites get dumped into the slow lane:

Sincerely,
Jake Andreøli
Co-Founder of Donut Team
Thanks Jake. Killing off Net Neutrality is something I have had a hard time wrapping my head around, as the ideas behind Net Neutrality is very similar to the regulations and laws governing railroad operations, particularly laws pertaining to common carriers (Pretty much any railroad except for tourist lines is a common carrier). I worked for the BNSF Railway, and our competitors use our tracks at times, and we use theirs at time. We borrow their locomotives when needed they borrow ours (There's actually a formula to keeping track of who uses what - hours borrowed times locomotive horsepower. Borrowing one 4000 hp loco for two hours is the same as borrowing two 1000 hp locomotives for four hours). And the same track speeds apply to any train, be it on its own tracks or the tracks of a competitor. And we cannot impose unneeded wait times for freight carried in competitors freight cars. If our competitor the Union Pacific routes a load of coal over our tracks in whole or in part, we can't just push that car off to the side for a week to slow their delivery up.

Killing net neutrality sounds conceptually the same as killing common carrier laws. And I have a hard time understanding how anyone could be blind and short sighted enough to think its a good idea.