Forum Mod Bakery Docs

Would it be possible to get Donut Mod on the PS2 version of Hit & Run?

Posted in Support
Please login to contribute to the conversation.
I spent ages writing out some spiel about modding the PS2 (and presumably other console versions too) of the game, interesting stuff I'd found in the files ("ASK IAN ABOUT THIS COMMAND") and so on but the website had logged me out before clicking the "Post thread" button so it's all gone.

Anyway, to cut to the point this time around, would it be possible to get some modding going on for console? I believe the files are mostly the same as on PC, just more of a pain to access. My own console game modding abilities extend about as far as editing those human-readable scripts and swapping some files out, which might not really cut it. Testing changes would be easy as I could launch it from a USB drive.
Hey sorry that the website logged you out. This happens more often when you dont check "remember me" on the login page.

Modifying Pure3D files and any of the scripts would work. However, we've made custom hacks that add new functionality or fix issues in the original game that can't be ported without major code changes and modifying an ISO of the game.

"interesting stuff I'd found in the files ("ASK IAN ABOUT THIS COMMAND")"
That's just a comment referring to one of the developers, weve seen all of that.
I suppose it was a bit foolish of me to not anticipate that you've already seen everything within the game's files. I might try and see what Donut Mod changes and how much of it could be implemented, but the .lmlm file on its own doesn't show me much more than some custom scripts, images and videos. Wouldn't bother with anything fancy like your custom menus, but the missions would be nice. I don't think I have the time to invest into getting anything actually working though.

By the way, I noticed from LiquidWifi's recent "speedrun", at 29:43 (youtu.be/2KW1MIYAmIg?t=29m43s), Burns' voice clip from Road Rage sounds like it was recorded using a microphone. If you need the original I can send it your way, or if you already have Road Rage's files extracted, you're looking for "dialog_00349.wav" or a file in that region, depending on your software.
I'm afraid I can't add much to the console port theory that hasn't already been stated. It's totally possible, but there isn't a huge reward to it other than the sheer novelty.

However, the Burns dialog you're referring to was an entirely intentional decision on my end. Burns himself isn't actually present in that stage. The idea is that the Nuclear Bus is essentially playing a pre-recorded message to advertise it's own service. While there isn't any noticeable source from where that audio could be coming from, I thought it'd be a cute touch that would serve as an audio cue for the ambush stage beginning. However, I can definitely see how this can be confusing (especially since the stellar voice acting from yours truly is certainly comparable in quality) and might consider removing it when Donut Mod 4 drops. If anybody else has any thoughts on this design choice, I'd gladly listen!
^ Perhaps when it comes to the nuclear bus it could use the original recording but with a bit of an echo/reverb, maybe reduce the bass a bit too, to imitate a PA speaker system? Not sure how well it would work or if you'd even want that, but it could be something to experiment with.

It wouldn't make a great deal of sense to have mods for console when the PC version is superior on modern hardware (minus the crashes), so yeah, I don't see it happening. Might try swapping some vehicle models for the fun of it anyway.