Forum Mod Bakery Docs

Some Suggestions......

Please login to contribute to the conversation.
I have some suggestions for the site's releases and features in the future:

Future Releases Suggestions
I suggest to add a new section in downloads: Theme Mods. Here you could put Autumn Theme, Halloween Theme (ToT 2015), and maybe the old Winter Theme (back in 2015 you removed Winter Theme because of incompatibility with Donut Mod, but in my opinion it could still be used as a separate mod like Autumn Theme). You could also release Donut Mod 2 as "sequel" to Project Donut: you recently said that the source code is horrendous, but maybe you could give an eye to it and fix it, beacuse, as a user called [redacted] said in a previous post, it'd be good to make all main DM versions available to allow to new users to play all the mod's versions. You could then release a version 2.0.3 or something similar (as you did with Project Donut 1.2.0.1) that fixes all the horrendous stuff you talked about. I repeat that it would be a fantastic idea.

Site UI Suggestions
And now, some site UI suggestions: First, I suggest to remove or at least shorten that "More" menu in the site's hotbar. I think that there's a lot of space on the bar that could be used as well. I suggest to decrease the post titles' font dimension to prevent the title clipping with the likes, views and answers stats. Finally I suggest you to reimplement the feature in which a post's image changes to the last answerer's one, making it more clear to see if someone aswered to your post.

It's all for now, i hope that my suggestions will be considered.

-Sans47

Why would they need to release a Donut Mod 2 when Donut Mod 4 is a work in progress already? The whole point of versions is that the gameplay gets improved. Why would anyone play a lamer version of the game, when the latest is most improved so far?

Furthermore, it's not for you to decide how the website is layed out. Leave that to developers to lay it out however THEY want.

Don't be rude, dude.

When you create a website you can run the site however you want. But Donut Team runs it site however they want. Not for you to judge.
1) i am not JUDJING the site , i am only SUGGESTING.
2) dont say i am rude, because if there is someone that is you. I've been very polite instead.
You do you, boo.
To everyone who reads this post: sorry if i look like a "i-know-everithing" guy, but i only like to give my OPINIONS on the site and stuff. And so my suggestions are not criticizings as someone thought, but only THINKINGS of mine.
Future Releases Suggestions
I suggest to add a new section in downloads: Theme Mods. Here you could put Autumn Theme, Halloween Theme (ToT 2015), and maybe the old Winter Theme (back in 2015 you removed Winter Theme because of incompatibility with Donut Mod, but in my opinion it could still be used as a separate mod like Autumn Theme). You could also release Donut Mod 2 as "sequel" to Project Donut: you recently said that the source code is horrendous, but maybe you could give an eye to it and fix it, beacuse, as a user called [redacted] said in a previous post, it'd be good to make all main DM versions available to allow to new users to play all the mod's versions. You could then release a version 2.0.3 or something similar (as you did with Project Donut 1.2.0.1) that fixes all the horrendous stuff you talked about. I repeat that it would be a fantastic idea.
Sans47

Our downloads page will be removing categories at some point in favour of a new system. DM2 would be a lot of work to fix up and release and we currently have no plan.

Site UI Suggestions
And now, some site UI suggestions: First, I suggest to remove or at least shorten that "More" menu in the site's hotbar. I think that there's a lot of space on the bar that could be used as well.
Sans47
At some point, the navbar will add a search bar (in our testing site, it's already there), so there will be less space. I also don't feel comfortable putting a lot of it on the main bar, but I would like to move documentation out once there's actual content.

I suggest to decrease the post titles' font dimension to prevent the title clipping with the likes, views and answers stats.
Sans47
I'm not sure what you mean.

Finally I suggest you to reimplement the feature in which a post's image changes to the last answerer's one, making it more clear to see if someone aswered to your post.
Sans47
Maybe I'll make a setting, it was changed that way because of a lot of requests.
For the third thing Jake mentioned, I'm guessing Sans47 means this?

Whatever I boxed in green can be clicked to open a post.

I also wanted to test if super long topic names clip through the stats (if that's what he means), but I don't want to get called out for spam.
Yes SomeBot, that was exactly what i was meaning.
Here you could put Autumn Theme, Halloween Theme (ToT 2015), and maybe the old Winter Theme (back in 2015 you removed Winter Theme because of incompatibility with Donut Mod, but in my opinion it could still be used as a separate mod like Autumn Theme).
Sans47

Trick Or Treat 2015 is not a theme mod, it's an event mod.

The actual themes are discontinued since Donut Mod 4 is dropping theme support due to it massively complicating the handling of region files.

Donut Mod 3 will continue to be available as part of our Legacy content after Donut Mod 4 is released.

You could also release Donut Mod 2 as "sequel" to Project Donut: you recently said that the source code is horrendous, but maybe you could give an eye to it and fix it, beacuse, as a user called [redacted] said in a previous post, it'd be good to make all main DM versions available to allow to new users to play all the mod's versions. You could then release a version 2.0.3 or something similar (as you did with Project Donut 1.2.0.1) that fixes all the horrendous stuff you talked about.
Sans47

The horrendous parts of this mod run deep and throughout the entire project. If we ever did a re-release, we would likely make no changes other than the Meta information and it'd be a very "as-is" release with zero support. We don't really want to do even that though since we personally dislike it that much. I'm also strongly against open sourcing this version since I don't want anyone to learn from it because there's really no positive lessons there.

It was made a time when we were young and naive and using features of CustomFiles because we technically could, not because we should. Let me go into some detail in the following sections.

=========================

Every mission features heavy randomization regardless of whether or not that made the mission more fun (it mostly did not) or actually possible to reasonably play test (this made it exceedingly more complicated to play test). For instance, here's some of the code for all the stuff we randomized in L1M0:
if diff == 0 then
	s1time = 20
	s2time = 30
	s6time = 20
	s8colaCon = "Missions\\level1\\m0\\cCola.con"
	s8route = math.random(1,2)
	s8canAmount = math.random(6,12)
	s8truckDistance = 250
	s8time = 15*s8canAmount
	s9time = 70
elseif diff == 1 then
	s1time = 10
	s2time = 15
	s6time = 10
	s8colaCon = "Missions\\level1\\m0\\cCola.con"
	s8route = math.random(1,2)
	s8canAmount = math.random(12,18)
	s8truckDistance = 175
	s8time = 9*s8canAmount
	s9time = 55
end

The truck can take an entirely different route and have a different amount of cans because we could do that now, not because we should have done that. There's a reason you see basically none of this in DM3 and in DM4 since it didn't serve to make the missions any more fun, if anything it was mostly frustrating to learn a mission and then suddenly have it change in drastic ways when you hit "Restart".

Oh missions also just use a dumb utility function to setup global mission stuff rather than just calling the functions directly, again for no actual benefit.

HandleMissionSetup({
	["mission"] = "m1" ,
	["startlocations"] = {"incar","m1_ncarstart"},
	["regions"] = {"l1z1.p3d","l1r1.p3d","l1r7.p3d"},
	["pedgroup"] = 0,
})

Next, I have to mention that every single load script is using paths in the CustomFiles virtual file system even though probably none of them call for this. This really just serves to make the paths longer and in this game where there ARE hard limits on path lengths, I wouldn't be surprised if the mod was at the very least lightly corrupting the game's memory at runtime at a result of this. This is an example of using features because we technically could, not because we should.

Here's an example of that and as a bonus, we were also using a utility function rather than calling the LoadP3DFile wrapper directly which also provides no tangible benefit and really just serves to make it less efficient (since it has to do this every time the script is compiled by CustomFiles). Here's an example:

HandleLoadP3DFiles({
	"/GameData/art/missions/level01/m0.p3d",
	dir_res.."/missions/level1/m0/p3d/ibucket.p3d",
	"/GameData/art/missions/generic/kwk_door.p3d",
	"/GameData/art/frontend/dynaload/images/msnicons/location/kwike.p3d",
	"/GameData/art/frontend/dynaload/images/msnicons/location/simpsons.p3d",
	"/GameData/art/frontend/dynaload/images/msnicons/char/apu.p3d",
	"/GameData/art/frontend/dynaload/images/msnicons/object/icecream.p3d",	
	"/GameData/art/frontend/dynaload/images/msnicons/vehicle/car_icon.p3d",	
	"/GameData/art/frontend/dynaload/images/msnicons/vehicle/cola_v.p3d",
	dir_res.."/missions/level1/m0/p3d/locators.p3d",
	"/GameData/art/missions/level01/i_soda.p3d",
})

HandleLoadCars({
	{"/GameData/art/cars/cCola.p3d","cCola","AI"}
})

And for one last note, I think the way the files are laid out in this mod is messier and more confusing than it needs to be.

While Project Donut was a positive part of our history and actually a decent mod for the time and also the initial project that brought our team together, Donut Mod 2 isn't really. It's that awkward experimental transition phase into the actually good stuff (Donut Mod 3/4, Road Rage Returns) and we're not super proud of what it was.

To close, Project Donut was fixed up in an afternoon while Donut Mod 2 is broken at it's core and would take much longer. It would basically have to be gutted and entirely reworked which, in my personal opinion, is a waste of our time.
@SomeBot Ah, that's an issue I thought I already had fixed. I'll look into it soon, thanks for the report you two.

At my resolution, the longest topic name is fine:

But at anything smaller, it clips. I'll have to look into this. Thank you.

Why would they need to release a Donut Mod 2 when Donut Mod 4 is a work in progress already? The whole point of versions is that the gameplay gets improved. Why would anyone play a lamer version of the game, when the latest is most improved so far?

Furthermore, it's not for you to decide how the website is layed out. Leave that to developers to lay it out however THEY want.

Don't be rude, dude.

When you create a website you can run the site however you want. But Donut Team runs it site however they want. Not for you to judge.
MorganVain

I'm not going to moderate this as you were technically are correct in some regards. But we allow suggestions as we want our community to grow with us, and while we may not accept every suggestion, we will make an attempt to look into them and weigh the process of doing it. He wasn't being rude, he was just suggesting things.