Forum Mod Bakery Docs

Getting a custom "Map/Model" into the game.

Posted in Support
Please login to contribute to the conversation.
Hey everyone,

I managed to get Level 3's map into the source engine, and it looks pretty decent. (Surprisingly.) However, I've been trying to convert a source engine map (Specifically a very small Team Fortress 2 map) for use with TSHAR. I've turned it from a map file into an obj, but I'm stumped at what to do next.

I've looked around for custom map making tutorials, but only found a thread from a year ago talking about an unreleased tool. Does anyone know if this tool was released or not at any point? I know there's a XML importer/exporter for Blender, but I'm not sure what to do from there. (That probably isn't even a tool for mapping, I dunno.)

If anyone needs more info, please let me know.

Thanks in advance :)
[deleted user]
5 yrs ago (Statistics)
Tool is not yet released. BUT, it's gonna come out in Summer 2018. And there's a little downside for you: forget about OBJs and XMLs because the Model Builder is gonna use Sketchup files to convert them as map chunks into the game
The tool required to make or port custom maps, Lucas' Simpsons Hit & Run Model Builder, is not released yet.

Any existing map modifications not released by us were done manually and in a very tedious fashion with the Pure3D editor. This is severely limited and basically restricted to aesthetic changes.
Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it :)
However, this is more directed towards Gordon CMB's answer, what if the model I have is so small that its basically equivalent to a map chunk? Would it even need to be converted? (Obv the obj. file format wouldn't work)
It would still have to be in a SketchUp file because of the way the model builder works, but unlike what Gordon said you don't need to "forget about OBJs and XMLs" because models can be easily converted to .DAE and imported to SketchUp.
Sweet, cheers for the info :)