Learn More   Dismiss
We use cookies

Just like every other website in the world, we use cookies to provide our services to users.

Donut Team Maintenance - 4 November 2018: https://donutteam.com/forum/topic/2080/
Profile Image
CoughE
1 week ago
About the changing characters info you gave me, it works, but only with bart, lisa, marge, and apu, what i want is to change it to a background character (Chief Wiggum, Grampa, etc.), whenever i try, the game crashes, how can i fix this?
Profile Image
Gordon CMB
1 week ago · edited
You need to use the exact name of the model (found in art/chars, open the desired model and look at it's skeleton/skin/composite drawable name, like, [grandp_m] is a P3D file name, but the game uses [grandpa] to spawn him ingame)
Like, [wiggum] for Chief Wiggum, [grandpa] for Abe and so on
Profile Image
CoughE
1 week ago
I've tried that, but then the whole game just crashes, is there a known way to fix this?
Profile Image
Gordon CMB
1 week ago
Try to revert the changes and re-do the proccess, perhaps you accidentally did something wrong in the scripts(or, alternatively, you can search for the issue manually), game shouldn't crash if the character model is loaded correctly
Profile Image
CoughE
1 week ago
Still crashing, this might be too much to ask, but can you try for yourself, and if it works maybe show me some pictures or a video of your files and stuff?
Profile Image
Colou
1 week ago · edited
It's crashing because it is looking for a non-existent animation file, which is the most important part of swapping to non-playable characters. Gordon has completely neglected to mention this despite having done it multiple times before.

Luckily it is easily fixed. Jake made a tool for making animation files, and it's by far the easiest way to do it. I can't seem to find it posted on the forum but he had posted it on discord before (https://www.dropbox.com/s/0rd9gs7nwv13mh9/Jake%27s%20Character%20Generator.exe?dl=0)

Just select the character you are trying to swap in and which animations they should use. You might need to fiddle around with animations to make them look alright. It should then output two files, a P3D file and a CHO file. Put these in your "art\chars" folder.

If you have edited other parts of the file to load nonexistent files you may also need to change those to reference already existing files. For example there is code to load the skeleton image that displays when you get electrocuted by a wasp. That can just be changed to another character and it will work fine. Although if you want you can create your own copy with a unique texture.
Profile Image
Kenny Giles
1 week ago · Executive Staff Member
Apologies for the late response! Been rather busy today. Don't worry, I haven't quite forgotten about that P3D file just yet.

To add onto Colou's post, there's a bit of an issue where having the playable character as an ambient NPC will crash the game as it tries to load the Level. Simply put, it doesn't like the playable character also being an NPC! Assuming your mod still uses Daytime Evergreen Terrace (regular Level 1's map) as the first Level, chances are you still might be loading Krusty as an ambient NPC. Luckily, removing him isn't too tricky.

Go ahead and open leveli.mfk in scripts/missions/level01. Once inside of there, go ahead and delete all of the lines pertaining to Krusty's NPC appearance:

AddAmbientCharacter("krusty", "ambient_krusty",  0); //zone 4
		AddAmbientNPCWaypoint( "krusty", "krusty_walk1" );
		AddAmbientNPCWaypoint( "krusty", "krusty_walk2" );
		AddAmbientNPCWaypoint( "krusty", "krusty_walk3" );
		AddAmbientNPCWaypoint( "krusty", "krusty_walk2" );
		AddAmbientNPCWaypoint( "krusty", "krusty_walk1" );

Once removed, go ahead and save the file.

To add onto Gordon's message regarding how to change the default carin the previous thread, you'd also want to go ahead and edit rewards.mfk, present in the scripts/missions directory. The reason we need to do this is because the game's Phonebooth system relies on this file to determine what cars are unlocked and for what purposes. While we're changing the car that spawns at the beginning of the Level, that's technically separate from the car inside the Phonebooth. What this means is that if you just changed the instances of the Family Sedan to the Clown Car in level.mfk and leveli.mfk, but not in rewards.mfk, the Level would begin with the Clown Car. However, once the player went to the Phonebooth, they could only call the Family Sedan, which is a bit of an issue.

Once you've opened rewards.mfk, change this line into whatever car you'd like to load:
BindReward( "famil_v", "art\cars\famil_v.p3d", "car", "defaultcar", 1 );

Say you wanted to replace the Family Sedan with the Clown Car, you'd change that line into this:
BindReward( "famil_v", "art\cars\krust_v.p3d", "car", "defaultcar", 1 );

Once done, go ahead and save. The Clown Car should now be the default vehicle in Level 1's Phonebooth! You can ignore the SetCarAttributes at the bottom of the script, though moving it into the Level 1 section for organizational concerns would be a wise idea. Entirely up to you, however.

I do also ask that perhaps the help threads you've created are toned down a bit, as swapping between the two for information on potential answers can make it a bit cumbersome. Many thanks!
Profile Image
Gordon CMB
1 week ago
I completely forgot about .cho files and rewards.mfk, sorry for the inconvenience, didn't meant to
Please login to contribute to the conversation.