Forum Mod Bakery Docs

Virus?!?

Please login to contribute to the conversation.
Right now I was gonna play some SHAR and all of a sudden windows defender told me theirs a virus and also Lucas Mod runner said there is one too and the mod was Communications with something I panic and deleted it Idk what was that tho
That always pops up when you install Lucas Mod Launcher. Just click view more and click run, it wont show up again!
[deleted user]
5 yrs ago (Statistics)
Windows Defender can be a b**** sometimes, just whitelist every SHaR related stuff he tries to block
(For a reference: my CustomText.lmlh was deleted by it for no apparent reason, had to re-download the launcher in order to restore it)
No I got a screenshot on what it says I've been having Lucas mod runner and I just got this now!

and windows defender went off again

The first time it was for SHAR Multiplayer

but when I Launch this one this is what happened
Okay, it can't be a virus unless its an executable file like exe, bat or cmd it happens with files that were created on other computers anti-virus programs may try to disable things that connect with sites, like in your case it's probably the fact that you can link your donutteam account to the launcher which communicates to the site to go in your Play History so probably disable your Anti-Virus and re-install the mod launcher.

I understand that It's the launcher giving you the error but thats probably because your Anti-Virus has tried disabling parts of the file meaning it's probably been corrupted meaning the launcher thinks its dangerous cause it's been corrupted.

Also I have a VM so could you check your recycle bin and maybe send me it so I can test it:
V0RTEX_L0RD#0618

I don't care that you all flooded me with Downvotes...
From my limited knowledge of the .NET Framework (Which is what the mod launcher uses), here are my two cents:
What's happening is the mod launcher is using the System.IO namespace to read the LMLH file from the filesystem.

The problem is, is that an antivirus software must have detected the LMLH file (in this case, it's "InterprocessCommunication") and has flagged the file as a virus. This likely occurred because some types of malware use DLL Injection to gain privileged access to the system. The mod launcher uses this tactic in a non-malicious way, to inject code into the game.

Anyway, as System.IO is reading the LMLH from the system, it can't read it because it's been flagged as a virus, and therefore throws an exception. The mod launcher then displays a messagebox outlining some basic exception details, which is what is happening in your screenshot.

The solution is to add an exception to the whole mod launcher directory, including all mods and hacks.

TL;DR: It's your antivirus flagging the LMLH file as a virus, also you'll wanna re-download the mod launcher because your antivirus might have deleted some important files.
Exactly... Although I wonder hat it was and why...
I don't care that you all flooded me with Downvotes...
V0RTEX L0RD
You got downvoted because most of what you said was wrong and potentially harmful advice.

Okay, it can't be a virus unless its an executable file like exe, bat or cmd
V0RTEX L0RD
Not all malware comes in the form of an executable file. These things can also be maliciously crafted files that are not executables but instead take advantage of an exploit in an executable to trick it into doing malicious things including but not limited to running arbitrary code and/or downloading and running other executable files.

Also, just to clarify, Hacks are DLL files that have a different file extension and DLLs are just another type of executable.

it happens with files that were created on other computers
V0RTEX L0RD
The file doesn't have to be created on another computer to be considered malicious. For example, here's Lucas building a program that uses the Spectre exploit followed by it being deleted immediately by Microsoft Security Essentials (Windows Defender).

anti-virus programs may try to disable things that connect with sites, like in your case it's probably the fact that you can link your donutteam account to the launcher which communicates to the site to go in your Play History
V0RTEX L0RD
Donut Team Account Integration is handled by the Launcher itself and not any of its hacks. Furthermore, the hack that was detected as a virus doesn't connect to the internet at all.