Forum Mod Bakery Docs

Can Someone Check This?

Please login to contribute to the conversation.
This was submitted to the GameFAQs cheat codes page for the GameCube version of the game:

"In lvl 2, the building behind Moe's Tavern (looking at door side) has a little jut-out on the left with a Buzz Cola crate on it. Unlike other cola crates, this one comes back and you can destroy it over and over again."

I only have the PlayStation 2 beta to check (for now, can't play the Xbox version anymore, it broke), and it wasn't there. Can someone check if this works on any version of the game (GameCube version in particular)?
I remember reading this hint even back in 2006-2007 as I stumbled upon this tip (after I was searching for some SHAR tips after I already completed the game 100%) and after I read it, I tried to see in game but it looked like I already destroyed all crates and I tried searching around whole place at Moe's and couldn't find anything about a crate that respawns after it has already been destroyed. Note that I only played the PC version of the game. So I can definitely confirm that this isn't happening on the PC version of the game.

However it is possible it might happen on the console versions but we need someone else to confirm, someone who had actually played through one of the console versions of the game. Or maybe someone could download an emulator and try either the PS2 or the Gamecube version.

BTW I don't mean to go off-topic but was there a PS2 beta version of the game? I have been quite busy lately and I noticed you recently mentioned running the PS2 beta in two other topics (the one with running the beta on PC through an emulator and the other more recent one about L3M5 fail message) but I haven't actually read about that before on the internet. I'm surprised there exists a beta version of the game I didn't know about. Could someone at least link to the beta article or something? Because I don't recall reading about a beta version of the game before, only about a special demo version with a cut down level 1 with only first mission (well both Cola Caper and S-M-R-T, at least) and half of map being accessible. And of course the PR assets shown on a YouTube video when they were found back in 2016 (I think), which were also linked recently in the forum. That's all I know about.

EDIT: OK I remember something related to infinitely respawning crates but not in original game. The older buggy Donut Mod 2 versions (before they were removed and replaced with the superior Donut Mod 3 releases) had additional crates placed in the level and those you could destroy and respawn later, so you could get lots of coins quickly by just using Mission Select and going through whole map while smashing every one of those newly added crates.
Similar thing happened in mod Metal Arms in Springfield which had a few crates added around the first level (from Road Rage), they respawned later.
Yes, there is a beta of the game, but it is near final. You can download it here (it requires a PlayStation 2 emulator to run):

Link removed by moderator.

Additionally, read about (some of the) differences here:

tcrf.net/Proto:The_Simpsons:_Hit_%26_Run

The beta is fully playable, and nothing like the demo disc you described.
I'm not surprised that you haven't heard of it. I only stumbled across it when Colou produced a video showcasing a BETA version of the music track played during the missions Better Than Beef, Bonfire Of The Manatees, and Redneck Roundup.
[deleted user]
5 yrs ago (Statistics)
@DeepFriedBurger The moderation staff decided against allowing distribution of the recently discovered PS2 beta on our site, as its essentially a full, working version of the game and comes very close to piracy.
Max Walker:

My apologies. Would it be acceptable for me to replace what was the link with a link to the YouTube video where the download link is located in the comments?
That still falls under the same jurisdiction as linking directly to the download. Copyrighted content, and how to obtain it stays off of this site altogether.
Alright. Fine with me.
[deleted user]
5 yrs ago (Statistics)
Ah thanks for explaining, I see now. Well no surprise since the beta was discovered around time I was busy with my exams (I finished with them a few weeks ago, at least for now) and I haven't checked TCRF much as of lately, so no wonder it went unnoticed for me.

I have read the changes compared to final version and it's interesting what I read. I was hoping that the build of game would be earlier than that (like when game was still heavily in development, so there would be more differences) but it's still better than nothing.

And sorry you had to link the download to the beta (I didn't even get to see the download link before it was removed) but you should be careful from now on to not post download links to such stuff.

Now regarding to the crate that respawns, has anyone tested this on a console?
Judging from the fact that that nobody has posted an answer here, I'm going to assume that nobody has tested it.

Also, who knows? Maybe an earlier prototype will be discovered in the future. Based off what I've read about a "map file" in it, it hints at the prototype being a particular prototype, so there may be more.