Forum Mod Bakery Docs

Unused Kwik-E-Mart Interior Gag - gag_k_n2.p3d

Please login to contribute to the conversation.
Edit: It turns out that these gags aren't unused. Special thanks to SomeBot for pointing this out. My apologies! This is the first time I've ever seen this gag. However, scroll down to my second post to take a look at a Kwik-E-Mart gag that isn't used

So, in Level 4's level.mfk, there are two unused gags for The Simpsons Household Interior that involve Ned Flanders. Despite not being commented out, they strangely never seem to play due to some sort of mistake with how the gags are set up.

Last night I decided to poke around with them and deleted all of the interior gags with the exception of the "Homer eats cheese" gag, and edited it so it instead loads the p3d that the unused gags load, as well as the appropriate sound file. By doing this, the gags appear to play fine, and it's actually a shame they were dropped!

The first one, gag_s_f1.p3d, is the most interesting of the bunch. The gag involves Ned asking Homer kindly to return his patio furniture before a can is thrown at him by Homer. Ned's reaction is hilarious!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzYvG9Iy0MM

(Please ignore that I'm playing as Homer here. This is part of another private mod I'm screwing around with.)

The second one is slightly less interesting, but still worth looking at. It's almost identical to the gag above, but the beer can isn't involved in it.

youtu.be/2c_U2AYHo3Q

Pretty interesting. I haven't completely looked into why these don't normally play, but they appear to be set up correctly. There might be a small typo perhaps that's preventing them play perhaps.

There are a couple of other interesting little gags I might showcase in the future, but this one in particular is interesting enough and hilarious that I think it warrants it's own thread.

If you're curious about "restoring" it in your mod for yourself, copy one of the working gags for The Simpsons Interior that normally work, rename what p3d it loads to gag_s_f1 or gag_s_f2, and also rename the sound to the exact same thing. Also make sure the animation is set to "single" so it only plays once like it's intended to.
Um... I've had both of those gags played both on the Xbox and PC version without editing any files. In fact, I was messing around with one of Level 4's pre-challenges in my mod, trying to play gags without the inside of the house loaded (when I really was trying to place Marge inside the house without having the ability to exit it... which I successfully did). As an unintended discovery, Flanders' legs look... uh... stretched when the gags play without the walls obstructing the view.
Huh. Very interesting! I haven't been able to see these gags play in the normal game at all in any of my playthroughs for both the PS2 and PC versions. Perhaps my luck is incredibly bad? I guess I'll go ahead and see if I can trigger it. This is the first time I've ever seen it though, so I assumed something was wrong with the gag (at least in the PC version) that prevented it from playing.

Edit: Well I'll be darn. They do play. Huh. Thanks for the clarification! I swear I haven't seen these before at all. I guess to make up for it, here's a gag that I know is unused:

youtu.be/IKE_Jjf5NuU

This gag, referred to internally as gag_k_n2.p3d (Gag- Kwik-E-Mart - Nelson 2). This one is very similar to a gag that was left in that wasn't unused (called gag_k_n1 - This is the gag where Nelson punches Milhouse in the gut and Milhouse swallows his retainer). The difference in this one is that it's gag cycle is set to "loop", meaning it indefinitely plays until you leave the Kwik-E-Mart, Milhouse and Nelson stand in a different position, and the animation is set up to loop flawlessly.