Forum Mod Bakery Docs

Hit and Run: Plow King Edition (Updated, Level 2 Released)

Please login to contribute to the conversation.
So probably a month ago or so, I'm not sure when exactly, I managed to beat Set to Kill in the Plow King, after at least three dozen attempts. As you can imagine, it was very hard, but instead of stopping I decided to see if every mission was doable in the Plow King. Though I did complete a few other late-game missions with it (all much easier aside from the first portion Duff for Me, Duff for You), the game forces you to use certain cars other than the Plow King for certain missions, so playing every mission with it would require a mod.

I'd been messing around with modding for a while before this, so I started working on it, and did a lot more than I originally meant to. There are multiple difficulty settings for the missions (the objectives stay the same as in the vanilla game, though) and a lot of texture changes. Lots of purple everywhere. Because of all that only level 1 is done at the moment, though the other levels will hopefully be easier.

In short, a mod with the same missions but with the Plow King, optionally harder time limits and cars, and a ridiculous looking everything. It's simple and unfinished right now but someone might enjoy it so I decided to sign up for the forum and share it anyway. :)

mega.nz/#!rg5g2JZY!66yh6oMbKZv0CYr555QTQLqre0tqSCoGaUBbob9pAg0

V0.10 (old: mega.nz/#!utoUlTQJ!tCzQE3-SsvNenPNWucQQnkv5ey7FHIqebU0yCr7m_60
V0.10 (old): mega.nz/#!DxJyGRAK!Nx4z0Iju-opq6rGsM6mGjiZmhFhM3bxCczqzwjpDSoQ
Sound's pretty nice! will download it later :)
Cool, I beat it with the Monorail once.
If I were a super cautious person and SHAR modding was as popular as some other mods, I would say "no pics no clicks" but neither of those things apply, so meh. Will check it out when I can.

Edit: So I ended up instead trying to run this as fast as I could, and was able to beat all the missions without too many problems, except for M5 - I would end up going out of reach roughly half the time before I was able to properly start, and the rest of the time he was just too fast to catch up with. I also suggest shortening the timer on M6, and adding difficulty to the AI's stats in missions 1, 3, and 7, or 6 if you choose to not change the timer. Cool idea for a mod though, and I like how this makes required vehicle sections playable with a different car. (I was playing on Hard btw)

Edit2: Also, the bonus mission crashes on loadup. The street races work well, though.
Just edited the first post with an updated version. Fixed the crash and made the van less likely to run away at the start. Also upped the difficulty of missions 1, 3, and 5 on Hard (which were definitely too easy after replaying them) and slightly reduced the time limit of mission 6 (which I thought was fine as it was but I'm not very good at those mission types). Thanks for your feedback Gibstack.
Few other additions I wanted to suggest:
-Either set the default level vehicle to be the Plow King, or have the player spawn at the Gas Station so you're at Barney when you first play the mod.
-It would be cool/unique if you set the Plow King's driver to be Barney, and add quotes to him (because he doesn't technically have any dialogue for driving, since he isn't normally a driver.) That way, it isn't just the default player's quotes, and something new.

Also, I'd just like to mention: When I read the title at first, I thought it meant that it would be one of "those" mods, with purple... everything, everywhere. Glad to see it wasn't that, xD.

Edit: I played the wager race where it said to have like a 300-something coin payout, but I won it and had the same amount I came in with. I talked to Kenny and he said you had to edit it in the ".con" file for the wager race.

Overall, it's not the Mona Lisa of SHAR mods, but it's a creative and interesting take on SHAR. Like I said in my first post, one thing that makes this awesome is that you can play the required vehicle missions without using said required vehicle, and instead with a more "fun" car, as well as editing the difficulty of missions to make it balanced and different from the original game. Can't wait to play more!
Level 2 is complete, in less time than I had hoped! Now with wager races that function properly and slightly better difficulty balancing! Though the missions in this level on Hard are probably harder than level 1's missions overall so despite being hopefully more consistent it might be too hard so maybe it isn't slightly better... but yeah it's here. :p

I was originally going to but the game kept crashing so I tried to work around it, but after looking at it a second time I realized I just hadn't looked in the leveli.mfk file, I think. Both level 1 and 2 start out with the player using the Plow King in this version, and the Family Sedan and Honor Roller can be bought as extra cars. Thanks for suggesting it! Changing the default driver to Barney is an interesting idea, but hearing the same quotes for him on every level might get annoying compared to just hearing Homer's for one or two levels, even if we already know what his quotes are. (Not to mention I have no idea how to actually add quotes to turn Barney into a driver...) Glad to hear you enjoyed it! :D

It's worth noting that level 2's second and third street races seem to be impossible in the normal game, and though they are possible on all three of the altered difficulties I kept them the same for the unaltered one anyway. I can change it if people want me to, but it's an optional thing so I decided to keep the mode consistent instead of making an exception for those two races.
I feel like adding quotes to Barney would be nice, and if the player doesn't like it, they could toggle either A. the dialogue to be off, or B. possibly make it an option (I don't know how easy or hard it is to set a specific setting like that, though). I personally don't know how to do it, though, but I know it's possible.
Honestly, I haven't enjoyed it much(beat it fully on hard mode in both Level 1 and 2.)
Also, why does it show 5 stars on everything when it has a half-star everything?(it feels like it to me at least.)
And yeah, I give this mod a 3.4/10.