Forum Mod Bakery Docs

How do I get a mounted copy of Hit & Run working?

Posted in Support
Please login to contribute to the conversation.
Can you please help me?
I tried to copy the contents to a DVD, I tried to mount it, I tired to burn the iso made from my legally purchased discs, I don't know what to do next!
The CD was legally backed up and legally purchased.
I do own the original disc.
This is just for backup purposes just in case my disc someday gets a crack.

Thanks!

-Sabrina The Skunk
If you're trying to play the backup, you should do a full install of the game to your hard-drive and then use a no-CD crack.

Securom, the DRM used by SHAR, does not let you use a mounted copy as a way to prove you own the disc. This is because the Securom checks for the actual thickness of the disc as a way to prove you didn't make a backup and just give it to your friend for example.

I recommend using this crack: Link removed

Download the crack and replace the Simpsons.exe in your installed game folder with that one.

Providing and using a CD crack is legal under United States DMCA laws for preservation and interoperability reasons.
Can I please see proof?

Thank you!
Would an another way be getting a CD-R and burning the iso to that CD?

Please respond.

-Sabrina Skunk
If you're asking for proof of how Securom works, a lot of it has been Lucas reverse engineering the technology. Here's an external source though:

At its core, SecuROM works by checking the density of data being read from a disk. Normally, data density of data accessed from a DVD would degrade from the inside of the DVD to the outside of the DVD, but SecuROM allows a vendor to add a specific pattern to the degradation of data density. If that pattern isn’t found, then SecuROM will determine that the DVD is not valid and the game won’t operate.
alteredgamer.com

Source: www.alteredgamer.com/pc-gaming-tech/19232-an-introduction-to-securrom-what-you-need-to-know/

And here's a source from Sony, who developed SecuROM [source on developer]:

A unique, uncopyable electronic keycode is added during the glass mastering process for CD-ROM and DVD-ROM replication.
Sony

Source from a web archive of SecuROM's website: web.archive.org/web/20150510101254/www2.securom.com/fileadmin/user_upload/downloads/SecuROM_Disc.pdf

If you're asking for proof of the executable file being legitimate, it is widely used by the community and speedrunners including one of the most notable speedrunners, LiquidWiFi.

It was detected by 0 out of 70 virus detection softwares, which you can verify by running it through VirusTotal.com, a website formerly owned by Google. Here's a link to when I ran it: www.virustotal.com/gui/file/2928118887b910ae03ce714e287d9bc67fb95f29e1b4f1271b8af389990c0795/detection

Would an another way be getting a CD-R and burning the iso to that CD?
SabrinaSkunk

Because the technology relies on the thickness of the plastic, burning it to a CD-R would not work unless the thickness matched the original game's disc. And even then, that's only an assumption because to my knowledge no one has tested that.

Sincerely,
Jake
Donut Team
I'm asking for proof to the Crack being legal.
In November 2006 the Library of Congress approved an exemption to the DMCA that permits the cracking of copy protection on software no longer being sold or supported by its copyright holder so that they can be archived and preserved without fear of retribution.
Wikipedia

Wikipedia Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware#DMCA

Computer programs and video games distributed in formats that have become obsolete and that require the original media or hardware as a condition of access, when circumvention is accomplished for the purpose of preservation or archival reproduction of published digital works by a library or archive. A format shall be considered obsolete if the machine or system necessary to render perceptible a work stored in that format is no longer manufactured or is no longer reasonably available in the commercial marketplace.
Copyright.gov

Copyright.gov Source: web.archive.org/web/20131123031312/www.copyright.gov/1201/2006/index.html

Gamespot Source: www.gamespot.com/articles/abandonware-now-legal/1100-6162308/
Thank you!