Forum Mod Bakery Docs

Lucas' Pure3D Editor Model XML Format Blender Add-on Unofficially Ported to 2.80 v1.01 (Obsolete)

Please login to contribute to the conversation.

This is obsolete. Donut Team officially ported their add-on to 2.80, so don't use this anymore. You can get their add-on here. Also don't f****** bump this thread unlike one of my other posts.

Here's something I've been waiting for since August: Lucas' Pure3D Editor Model XML Format Blender Add-on but with Blender 2.80 support. I managed to port the current release of the add-on to 2.80 despite a few limitations. I'm sure Lucas is still skimming through the mess of a documentation on the Blender API to remove them, but for right now, we'll settle with what I made. And no, this is not a leak. That's why I showed it to Lucas before I made this post.

Limitations

I didn't even find these bugs, but thankfully Lucas got me aware of these limitations.

• Apply Modifiers is no longer an option when exporting models. Because whoever at Blender Foundation thought it was a good idea to make temporarily applying modifiers a lot more complicated to do hates people who make fanfics of random characters kicking Marge. But seriously, I had no choice but to remove the option since temporarily applying modifiers through Python is much harder than the old days. While I personally have never used that setting with lingering modifiers, if you added modifiers to your model but have not applied them, you will not have the option to export your models with those modifiers.
  • Exported models are not compatible with P3D Editors earlier than 4.2. I was told that those versions don't recognize Alpha attributes, which Blender decided to make mandatory.

Links

You'll never guess what motivated me to do this.
Uh... didn't this have the "Donut Team Approved" flair? It was there before I edited the post to fix a typo.
Might be a quirk in the forum that results in flairs you're not able to add to threads getting removed if you update a thread that has one such flair.

I put it back.
uh how do i add this into blender
v1.01 fixes a bug when exporting models. And I've confirmed that this add-on still works in Blender 2.81. Too bad the API still isn't cooperating with us.
Surreal Bot,
the addon doesn't work for me. I put the folder into the addons folder and then install the three PY files manually. No feature is appearing in the Import/Export menu, even if a info string appears saying "module installed". I don't know what causes this. Acording to the log, the error after every module is installed is this:
Spoiler
fake_module: addon missing 'bl_info' gives bad performance!: 'C:\\Users\\pc\\AppData\\Roaming\\Blender Foundation\\Blender\\2.80\\scripts\\addons\\export_lucas_pure3d_editor_model_xml.py'
fake_module: addon missing 'bl_info' gives bad performance!: 'C:\\Users\\pc\\AppData\\Roaming\\Blender Foundation\\Blender\\2.80\\scripts\\addons\\import_lucas_pure3d_editor_model_xml.py'
fake_module: addon missing 'bl_info' gives bad performance!: 'C:\\Users\\pc\\AppData\\Roaming\\Blender Foundation\\Blender\\2.80\\scripts\\addons\\export_lucas_pure3d_editor_model_xml.py'
fake_module: addon missing 'bl_info' gives bad performance!: 'C:\\Users\\pc\\AppData\\Roaming\\Blender Foundation\\Blender\\2.80\\scripts\\addons\\import_lucas_pure3d_editor_model_xml.py'
and repeats every time the files get installed. It seems to miss a description dictionary that gets "corrupted" when copying the addon's text.

It works for me... Make sure your installing it right since at no point do you need to install 3 PY files?
  • Download the add on and dont unzip it, Leave it on your desktop
  • In blender go to edit > user preferences > addons > install
  • Click the zip file on your desktop
  • Then click install add on
  • Then refresh
  • Search "xml"
  • Enable the xml add on ()
  • Now it should work
Have you tried installing just the ZIP file via Edit > Preferences > Add-ons > Install? Because I've never seen that "fake_module" message before.
EDIT: Basically what Stevens said.
Thank you, Stevens.