Don't believe everything you read (Hit and Run's false rumors)

Posted in Simpsons: Hit & Run
Unsubscribe from this topic
I was planning to do this for a while and then forgot about it. But after SomeBot did something similar about the multiplayer I thought I'll bring up some false rumors about Hit and Run that people keep spreading even though they have been proven to be wrong several times.

The game was never planned to have 9 levels
Some staff left some folders in as placeholders and levels 8 and 9 were left in the files of the game because they forgot to take them out. The mission script they had never mentions these levels either. You could say that originally they planned 9 levels before they wrote the storyline, but the maps were still never created, also how would you know if there were only 9 maps? They may have gone higher with the placeholders and deleted the folders.

"I think that was just leftover directories from a programmer setup, they probably didn't know how many levels when they made the setup." - Joe McGinn (Senior game designer for Hit and Run)

There is no Maggie's level using cheat codes
This was some lies made up a magazine which was quite common at the time. Similar to being able to play as Luigi in SM64.
"Start a new game with any character. On the first level, don't do any missions-just get all the collector cards, cars, gags, wasps and win all the races. Then do all the missions for the level. Do this on every level and when you get to the final mission of the last level, do not start it. First drive all the cars in the phone booth to the school and move them into the tractor beam of the UFO. Then go to the final mission and when you get to the playground, get out of grandpa's car and press triangle, x, triangle, square, square, square. Then get back in the car and drive towards the tractor beam, bashing in the code again before you reach the beam. Now you'll be sent to Maggie's level."
Thanks, Deepfriedburger for the screenshots provided.

Maggie is not a playable character and only has gag models. Also, don't try to use Nightbane's model as evidence as you will look stupid.

The game was never coming out on the Nintendo 64
You Brazilians shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet. This has got to be one of the stupidest rumors in my opinion.

The maps were never going to be joined together
Radical went through some dumb phase of using donut-shaped maps. It was however planned for road rage but due to a mess up with the PS2, they scrapped the idea. This may be the reason why they didn't bother with hit and run as a former developer of SHAR mentions limitations being a problem on this forum.

"The issue with Road Rage was that they weren't able to load/unload regions on PS2 due to a bug in the code. This is why the maps in Road Rage are often giant instead of being split into several regions. The documentation for PS2 was really bad, often not even in English, so they had to basically figure it out as they went on. They fixed the issue in Road Rage after submitting the gold master, but it was too late at this point to submit a new version and fix the game across the board.
In Hit & Run, they wanted more linear donut-shaped levels, but they were able to unload/load regions at this point, which is part of the reason the maps have more detail than Road Rage." - Jake Andreoli (Donutteam staff)

"The game does not have "city-loading DVD streaming tech" like GTA so that would not have been practical. Early on there was talk of a streaming system to allow players to drive from one level to another without a loading screen, but it would have meant a long boring drive in a tunnel or something so it wasn't worth it. We actually did streaming tech like this for Road Rage but got burned by it when Matt Groening asked us to change from "toon rendering" to "more textured 3D" very late in development. This required texturing the whole world, which in turn broke the streaming system very close to the date we just had to ship (i.e., to hit Christmas ship ... which means being in stores by Black Friday). That game for most of development had one vast, streaming world you could drive all the way around. Because of the streaming problems we had no choice but to break the world into a number of smaller levels." - - Joe McGinn (Senior game designer for Hit and Run)

The land of chocolate music from Hit and Run was not used in the Simpsons game
Quite an easy mistake to make but still a mistake none the less (Did You Know Gaming messed this one up). Both tracks are spoof versions of the original land of chocolate track by Alf Clausen in 1991 used in one of the Simpsons episodes. Yes, they sound very similar, but that's as far as it goes.

There is no censored SJW version that replaced Apu with Moe
Liquidwifi was taking the piss when he said that. Don't take it seriously.

You are extremely unlikely to see a sequel, remaster, or re-release of this game
Don't trust the shit that Ladbible or any other page associating with them says. Hit and run is a very legal clusterfuck of a game and nobody knows who owns the rights to it. The latest release, as far as I know, was in Japan around 2012 and it was only for the original Xbox which is one of the consoles it came out on. We all get why you want the game to return, But would you really play it that long? (However if it there was a return, The last rumour would probably become a thing)

There is no digital release for this game and more than likely never will be
Quite similar to what was said above. But the only way to get a genuine copy of this game on any platform is through disc copies. If you bought this game in any other way you have been scammed. Also, don't ask for help with fixing your Electaurus problem. We already know what copy you have. Other signs of illegitimate copies are no music or very unfitting music (for example there are copies with the Ghostbusters Theme playing in level 7) license screens that don't include that don't have The Simpsons Hit and Run logo on them and random crashes. Some of these may just be the game being broken so don't always assume that your copy is bad if this is the case.

BONUS BULLSHIT(not a rumour but just as pathetic)

Have you ever looked at youtube videos of the Simpsons hit and run and seen this thumbnail before?

Looks very familiar, doesn't it? Well, this image has been used by many from small YouTubers to Pewdiepie and even corporations like RedBull have used it. The over usage of it is annoying enough but I really hate it for another reason.
It comes from a dodgy pirate copy of the game that has had the p3d files overwritten with a mod. I have been vocal about my opinion that piracy is beneficial to this community even though for legal reasons links to Hit and Run aren't allowed to be posted. Also, I have lots of respect for the modder who attempted to retexture the levels even though, to be honest, I hate it because it looks so bad. But what's worse about this is that I see YouTubers with millions of subscribers play this awful copy of the game with so many bugs and errors and windows paint bucket roads and it makes me want to fucking vomit. Just stop. It's bad enough that you can afford 50 copies with your salary and not be affected yet you torrent one of the shittest versions of the game that you found on a Pirate Bay proxy and it doesn't surprise me that your idiot fanbases can not tell the difference because they also have the same version.

Break the cycle. If your game looks like the image in the thumbnail, DELETE IT and find another copy.

If anyone has any funnier ridiculous shit they have heard then please mention them. It gets annoying when you hear the same things over and over again and it annoys you when you know they aren't true so it would help stop misinformation if people did their bit and call out bullshit.
The maps were never going to be joined together - Radical went through some dumb phase of using donut-shaped maps. It was however planned for road rage but due to a mess up with the PS2, they scrapped the idea. This may be the reason why they didn't bother with hit and run as a former developer of SHAR mentions limitations being a problem on this forum.

MACCA
I can expand upon that. The issue with Road Rage was that they weren't able to load/unload regions on PS2 due to a bug in the code. This is why the maps in Road Rage are often giant instead of being split into several regions.

The documentation for PS2 was really bad, often not even in English, so they had to basically figure it out as they went on. They fixed the issue in Road Rage after submitting the gold master, but it was too late at this point to submit a new version and fix the game across the board.
In Hit & Run, they wanted more linear donut-shaped levels, but they were able to unload/load regions at this point, which is part of the reason the maps have more detail than Road Rage.
I have a feeling that this forum is now going to be plagued with new users whose sole purposes are to mass-downvote this because they either don't believe you, or you have ruined their hopes and dreams. The majority of us are civilized enough to understand and/or jump to these conclusions, but we all know how fans are.
To expand on the "Play as Maggie" fake cheat code, here are some images I found of a magazine (Gamemaster, issue 149) which featured said code:

Spoiler

"Start a new game with any character. On the first level, don't do any missions-just get all the collector cards, cars, gags, wasps and win all the races. Then do all the missions for the level. Do this on every level and when you get to the final mission of the last level, do not start it. First drive all the cars in the phone booth to the school and move them into the tractor beam of the UFO. Then go to the final mission and when you get to the playground, get out of grandpa's car and press triangle, x, triangle, square, square, square. Then get back in the car and drive towards the tractor beam, bashing in the code again before you reach the beam. Now you'll be sent to Maggie's level."

In addition to this, I've also seen loads of other false codes listed on the internet. Some of the best include "unlock all missions", "night mode", "guns and hoverboards" and "100000 Coins".
Not a suggestion or anything, but you seem to have accidentally stuck the point about the Land of Chocolate music in the middle of another point.
Thanks for telling me
I was wondering why some of it was missing
I'll edit It when I'm able to
Dude when I was a kid and saw the fake SHAR unlocks\cheats and I ate that stuff up like a moron, wondering why I couldn't unlock Maggie or run around Springfield with a Tec-9...God I was stupid :-D
I remember thinking the night mode cheat was real because RR had a "night mode" cheat.
There is, in fact, a night mode. Here's how to access it.

Step 1: Complete Level 1
Step 2: Complete Level 2
Step 3: Complete Level 3

If you do all this, you will have unlocked a new night version of Level 1 with Marge as the playable character!
Holy shit. Myth Debunked.
Unsubscribe from this topic
Please login to contribute to the conversation.