Forum Mod Bakery Docs

Replacing Cars With Other Cars?

Posted in Support
Please login to contribute to the conversation.
Sorry if this has been discussed before but there's a lot of pages

I'm looking for a way to see if you can change say

Family Sadan to Police Car (So Homer drives the police car)

Or, change every car on the street to say "Duff Truck". (or any other car)

I'm only looking into doing this for level one at the moment however if someone does give me an answer I imagine it will be the same process for all levels. I'm just not sure about how to go around doing this.

Again, just getting started with the modding scene so sorry if this has been discussed before or it sounds incredibly easy to others. Just looking to go in the right direction..

Thanks.
I'd be happy to help! We all have to start somewhere. First, you should make a folder within the mod launcher. In "Mods" (assuming you've downloaded Lucas' Mod Launcher) create a folder with your mod name. Within that, create a folder called "CustomFiles". Then, you can either copy the "scripts" folder into that customfiles folder, or make copies of the specific files below, and put them into folders just like below.

I'll start with the default car. (family sedan to police car) For both of these, you'll need 3 different files open:
scripts\missions\rewards.mfk; scripts\missions\level01\level.mfk; scripts\missions\level01leveli.mfk
I'd also recommend downloading Notepad++ if you haven't already, as it's much easier to use multiple files at once with this.

In rewards.mfk, find this line: BindReward( "famil_v", "art\cars\famil_v.p3d", "car", "defaultcar", 1 ); - all you have to do here is change "famil_v" in both places, and replace them with the car you want - for a police car, you'd change it to "wiggu_v"
In level.mfk, find this line: LoadDisposableCar("art\cars\famil_v.p3d","famil_v","DEFAULT"); - again, change "famil_v" in both places to "wiggu_v"
Finally, in leveli.mfk, find this line: InitLevelPlayerVehicle("famil_v","level1_carstart","DEFAULT"); - replace "famil_v" with, you guessed it, "wiggu_v".
Now, you may close rewards.mfk, and you have successfully changed the default car.

For changing traffic vehicles, find this line in level.mfk: LoadP3DFile( "art\cars\pickupA.p3d" ); - change this to any car that you want. You can change any of these, including "huska" (the blown up car) into what car that you want. The ones with // in front of them mean they are commented out, and don't matter.
Now, in leveli.mfk, find this line: AddTrafficModel( "minivanA",2 ); - change each one of these to whatever car you changed. So, if you change "pickupA" to "cDuff" in level.mfk, make sure that "pickupA" is changed to "cDuff" as well in leveli.mfk.

If you want to actually be able to load up your mod, make a file called "meta.ini" and put it into your mod folder. Then, copy this and put it into meta.ini.
[Miscellaneous]
Title=What shows up in mod launcher
InternalName=Yourmod
Version=1.0
Description=Hi!
Category=Total Conversion Mods
Main=1
RequiredHack=CustomFiles
RequiredLauncher=1.12

By doing this, you should now be able to load up the game and see the changes that you've made. Hopefully this all made sense, lemme know if something didn't work.
Thanks for the fast response. I have already understand the basic's of creating a mod so I already know about the Lucas Launcher, meta.ini ect.

I have one more question. Is it possible (still in mission one) to replace the default car (being the Family Sedan) in the phone booth to the Police car for example?

Thanks again.
This post has been removed.
8 yrs ago (Statistics)
If you change the default level 1 car from "famil_v" to "wiggu_v" in rewards.mfk, then it should be the default car in the phone booth now.
It also seems you cannot have two of the same car or it crashes. Never the less, works like a charm. Thanks
8 yrs ago (Statistics)
8 yrs ago (Statistics)
8 yrs ago (Statistics)
[deleted user]
8 yrs ago (Statistics)
someone called Alex (don't know his proper username) knows how to add them without removing the cars, I mean if you wanted to know how, he'd be happy to tell you (probably, I mean, this is a community, not a regime)