Forum Mod Bakery Docs

Physx problem ( Accelerations )

Posted in Support
Please login to contribute to the conversation.
Hi everyone !

First things first, I have to apologise for my post being more about a technical issue I'm encountering rather than modding. The thing is that your community seems to be one of the only ones left still concerned about this great game, and I must have looked everywhere else for a solution, unsuccessfully.

So here's my problem : I've been trying to play The Simpsons Hit & Run again recently, but found myself unable to fully enjoy it because of a bug ( kinda... ).
Indeed, whenever I make a jump with my vehicle, s*** hits the fan and my car just accelerates like hell which makes it rather uncontrollable.. moreover when my car happens to get on its side, the physics go crazy as in this video : www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCBtTw6ENjg

It might be useful for you to know that I'm using windows 7 and that I run the game in compatibility mode for windows 98, and also disabled visual themes and desktop composition. In the end it looks like a physx problem but I couldn't fix it until then..

Thank you in advance, a poor guy just trying to play a childhood game ( and move you to pity ;p ).
Compatibilitty usually just fk's the game up try windows xp also does it lag/take long to load a level with win 7?
I also have this issue, I'm running on Win10 in 1080p with no fps limit. I find that limiting the fps make the game look worse, the frames aren't smooth.
You could try running a Virtual Machine. I don't really know how they work but it was suggested to me to fix another issue I was having. It is probably that your computer is too good for the game (like my new computer is) and so it doesn't function like it should. You could also try the frame limiter like they suggested above.
I run Win10 on a 1680x1050 monitor full screen at a silky smooth 60 FPS in compatibility for WinXP, just throwing it out there
Hi everyone,

The only solution is to use frame limiter. Limit the game to 60 frames per second. This will make the game's physics run properly.

Thanks,
Jake Andreøli
Wow, I didn't expect that much answers in so little time ! Thanks to all of you.

SomeoneIKnow : thanks I'll try that, and no, strangely enough the game doesn't take long to load a level ANYMORE. In fact, at the beginning of my "peregrinations", that was the case, by that I mean that roads were still invisible when I approached them, even though the loading time was made in an instant at the beginning of the level. But something I changed must have done the trick and it doesn't anymore.

As for the frame limiter solution, could anyone tell me how to do that ? I saw that it may be possible with "MSI Afterburner", but I'd like to be sure !
I'm noticing you're mentoning using Windows 98 Compatibility Mode and you have no clue what the frame limiter option is. I assume you're not using Lucas' Hit & Run Launcher to run the game?

Basically, we'd recommend that you download Lucas' Hit & Run Mod Launcher from here. It's the very first download.

While this mod Launcher is used to launch mods, it's highly recommended that it's used to run the game even when you're not using any mods. The reason for this? You can choose to launch the game without any mods, and it comes with several compatibility fixes built into it. One of which allows you to run SHAR without having to fiddle with any compatibility modes. In addition, it also comes with a Frame Limiter "Mod" built in that others were talking about here.

Go ahead and find your simpsons.exe and tell it to stop using Windows 98 compatibility mode (otherwise it won't play nice with the Launcher), and download the Launcher. Extract it wherever, run it, and tell it where your .exe is. If you're unfamiliar with how to do this, I've written a tutorial here that will help you figure out what you need to do.

Once you do this, you can enable the "Frame Limiter" mod (it's displayed as a regular mod), which should fix the physics issues you're having. In addition, you'll get lightning fast loading times thanks to the incredible modern computer support Lucas put into the Launcher!

I hope this of use!

Kenny Giles
Kenny, that launcher is NEAT ! Thanks a lot, it did fix the physics issues ! I have a wee bit of screen tearing now in 1920x1080, but I'll just get used to it.
Again, thanks a lot to all of you, guess I'll stay tuned for mods now ;)
So it's between broken physics or screen tearing :/