Forum Mod Bakery Docs

DOOM Open Beta, thoughts & opinions.

Posted in Off Topic
Please login to contribute to the conversation.
Okay so on Friday we got the privilege to play the new DOOM beta, i've only just played this today myself and would like to hear your opinions on the DOOM Beta.

Firstly, the game is pretty fun and somewhat challenging, however the game just doesn't feel like y'know DOOM. It felt like a crossover of Halo and Call of Duty, it just didn't feel like what DOOM is supposed to feel like in my opinion.

Many of people i've talked to have had technical issues despite their rigs being in good terms with the games specifications, many users have had issues with FPS, Stuttering and abysmal screen tearing (This one happens to me quite frequently). Thankfully screen tearing is the only issue i face, despite me having my vertical sync ON. FPS wise i'm fine. (60fps)

Overall it seems fun but it just lacks the charm the originals had. However it still is mindless, destructive and frantic as ever.
If i had to place a final conclusion i'd be pretty lost since i'm on the fence whether i liked it or not.
How do you get the privileged
As someone with no prior experience with the series, I think it's okay. I think it feels really bland and straight up boring with it's lack of music and its easily a lot more fun when you layer some of your own music library on top of it.

I really do understand the comparisons to Halo and Call of Duty and from what I know about the Doom series from other people this is not what Doom is supposed to be.

I haven't experienced any of those issues but I don't find it hard to believe they're happening.
@Supercoolpem It's an open beta, if you own a PC with Steam, PS4, or Xbox One, you can download it and try it.

My thoughts

If I could, I'd say this game is between terrible and good. It's not a bad game, but it's an extremely generic shooter. It feels like Halo mixed in with demons. That's it. It does have horrible parts though. For example, the demons are often one hit KOs. That's a load of bull when they can rapid fire off these rockets and you have to literally fight your way back each time to kill them. I don't really have much to say. It was extremely generic. Missing core elements of game play that should be present in a beta. And misses all the marks for the expected Doom experience. It will not be fixed with in a month. I've invested about 3 hours into trying it, and overall I think it's a great shooter that's missing so much to make it even better. The pacing is wrong, it feels like it's missing core things like a sprint action, it's a buggy mess, I don't feel any progression of any sorts. It's unbalanced.

It's just, it's something to truly try for yourself. I like it enough to play it, but not enough to buy it. The guys over at Id and Bethesda really should have had this beta out 6-12 months ago.
Oh yeah definitely, the games combat is so unbalanced. Demons are waaay to OP

I'm kind of in the same standpoint whether or not i'd buy it when it comes out.
I'd personally love to give this game a shot, but unfortunately my PC likely can't handle it. Ah well.

I still want this game to do well even if the multiplayer ends up lackluster. Judging by the previews, it combines the more "sci-fi" like design seen in Doom 3 and makes it with the demonic locations and atmosphere seen in the first two Doom games (and Final Doom if you want to count that). That I applaud since it feels like it's trying to appease both directions the series went. It's a shame the multiplayer still seems to be a mess, but hopefully the single player campaign will end up being fairly memorable.