Forum Mod Bakery Docs

I can't edit mfk files

Posted in Support
Please login to contribute to the conversation.
I wish to add a time limit to the mission "There's something about Monty..." but when i open m4i.mfk and do what i have to do,i save,but the program saves another new file,and i want to edit THAT file ,not create another one.

I tried with notepad++ but with it makes the file uneditable.

Please help me.

Dan:-)
Might be marked as read-only, I believe. Right click it, click properties, uncheck read only, and apply that. Try it then
[deleted user]
7 yrs ago (Statistics)
@Dan

If the files are saved in the Program Files folder you can't edit them. Windows doesn't allow you to edit things in program files in case you screw up and edit an important system file. You need to either copy your game folder to another location (bad way to do it) or create a mod that contains your new files (good way to do it). There are tutorials on how to create mods throughout the forum so you should be fine.
@max_power998
I can edit files in Program Files and Program Files (x86) no problem
It depends on what version of Windows you have. Either way it's terrible and you should always use a mod to tweak the game in anyway. Even if you just want to do random stuff you should just use a dedicated testing mod.
Probably should have also said this, but I just copy the original files into my mod and edit them there, and almost all the game's files were set to read only.
That's good, you're doing it the proper way then.

The game defaults to having its files read-only which it's probably good to keep it that way until you copy them to a mod to make sure you don't accidentally edit anything.