Learn More   Dismiss
We use cookies

Just like every other website in the world, we use cookies to provide our services to users.

Mod Showcase / [The Simpsons Hit and Run: Yellow Shift] Alpha 2.2

Profile Image
Max Walker
1 year ago · edited · Moderator

Hey Donut Team!

I have for you today an early version of a project that I've been working on for the past two weeks or so. Presenting, Yellow Shift! (Formerly Marge vs. Bonestorm II, creds to Loren Goodwin for the new name!)

This mod takes place at the same time that Level 1 and 2 does in the vanilla game but features Marge and Skinner as the protagonists. The storyline goes in depth into Marge's vendetta against Bonestorm II and includes plot twists, difficult missions, and a whole lot of Canyanaro! The plot has been extended to include a second level now as well. Play as Skinner to further uncover the mystery of Bonestorm II, and reveal a conspiracy within Springfield.

This mod does not have streetraces (since Marge does hers later in the canon) and also does not have a bonus mission (I may add one in the future) All vehicular rewards will be bought from Gil. The wolf is at his door guys, help him out!

I am ecstatic to announce that update 2.1 is finally available. However, I can no longer say that I did it alone. My amazing team (MACCA, YoursDiddilyTruly, Munky99, The Butter Donut, and lots of help from Loren Goodwin) contributed so much to this update. Seriously guys, if you don't have a team for your mod now, get one. Things get done so much faster, and it's so much more fun.

VOTING - ATTENTION: The poll is now closed. Professor Frink has won the title of being the level 3 playable character! Thank you to everyone who voted.

A link to the strawpoll to vote for the level 3 character is here. I'm not going to give away any plot this time. It's more fun that way! Unless you're one of those people who reads the plot of a movie before he goes to see it... Or enjoys getting shots.

Feel free to post feedback in this thread, and I hope you guys enjoy the mod!

Here is the link to the mod.

UPDATE: Alpha 2.1! Caution: New versions of Yellow Shift may not be compatible with old save files (and vice versa!) Clothing shops can now be used in level 2!

Changes made:
-Added new textures for wasps and changed the locations of wasps and cards (creds to Depi)
-Changed some CustomText
-Suppressed Marge as a driver in level 2
Profile Image
Loren Goodwin
1 year ago · Executive Staff Member
This is an awesome idea. I never thought of looking at the levels from another perspective.
Profile Image
Max Walker
1 year ago · Moderator
@duckdotexe

Thanks! Yeah, Marge is my favorite character to play as so I wanted to do something with her, and I just thought of this.
Profile Image
PandaXletsplay
1 year ago
Will there be more than 1 level
Profile Image
Max Walker
1 year ago · Moderator
@Supercoolpem

Most likely not, since it's implied in level 2 that all the Bonestorm games are gone.
Profile Image
Loren Goodwin
1 year ago · Executive Staff Member
This spin off sort of reminds me of Half-Life: Blue Shift which is slightly ironic considering Marge has some large blue hair.

Hit & Run: Blue Shift.
Profile Image
MACCA
1 year ago
I thought that the idea for this mod is really good. Just finished playing it now.
Profile Image
Max Walker
@duckdotexe

I might have to steal that name. I'll credit you, don't worry.

@MACCA

I'm glad you liked the idea. Did you like the missions themselves?
Profile Image
MACCA
1 year ago
@max_power998 Yes I thought the missions were a clever idea. Maybe a bit difficult when I first played them but still doable. also liked the idea of Homer doing his missions while Marge has her own missions.
Profile Image
Max Walker
1 year ago · Moderator
@MACCA

Thanks! Yeah I'm planning on tweaking the difficulty of some of the missions because the way it is now is kinda sloppy.
Profile Image
MACCA
1 year ago
@max_power998 besides that though the mod is great. I know you said that there was probably going to be only 1 level but it would be cool to see other levels with different perspectives. for example playing level 2 as Frink.
Profile Image
Max Walker
@MACCA

If there's enough demand for another level I will probably make one. The character I would choose for level 2 would most likely be either Milhouse or Frink.

EDIT: Right now I'm having trouble getting the game to start with the mod, which is weird since I've made NO changes since I posted this.
Profile Image
Loren Goodwin
1 year ago · edited · Executive Staff Member
I'm not terribly good at reviews but I just played your entire mod just now and let me say:

Hot damn that was exhilarating. The whole mod is jam packed with an awesome set of missions. It feels very fresh and I love how well you intertwined Marge's day with Homer's.

I would love to see you extend this concept more if you're up to it, it was a fantastic experience overall.
Profile Image
Kenny Giles
1 year ago · edited · Executive Staff Member
Seconding Loren's experience. I went ahead and downloaded the mod and informed him it had a release. After playing with it, I'd like to give a little bit of quick feedback:

Positives:
- Concept is amazing and executed almost perfectly! It really is neat seeing Level 1 from another character's perspective. I adored the little details you did with Homer occasionally popping up in Marge's missions, making it appear as if the original game's missions were taking place in the background.

- Difficulty was really awesome. It's a lot tougher than the original Level 1 for those interested, and it's honestly nearly perfect for me. The last two missions were the icing on the cake and really well executed.

- Use of text messages to convey plot is actually done really well here. It doesn't feel like it weighs down the mod too much.

Negatives:

- Bits and pieces of the plot I didn't quite understand as a whole, but the concept is so cool that I can overlook them. For instance, what causes Bart to want to pursue getting Bonestorm II after all of this? It seems a little weird that he'd join Marge to take down the company and then go looking for a copy of the video game. I understand the mod is meant to be only one Level, but from my understanding after this Level the original game still takes place.

- The timer in L1M7 where (Spoilers Ahead) you have to get back to the Power Plant after losing the company Sedan seems a little unfair since it carries over from the chase stage.

Really minor nitpicks, but I praise this mod for it's originality in terms of telling an interesting story and executing the concept of having another "Level" taking place in the background. This is incredibly awesome, and currently my favorite user-made mod on the website (other than another one that George did)! Congratulations!
Profile Image
Gibstack
1 year ago · edited · Developer
I totally didn't edit Kenny's post, Kenny.

(I actually didn't though.. Only influenced him otherwise.)

Anyways, back to topic, I'm going to go try the mod now as well!
Please login to contribute to the conversation.