Forum Mod Bakery Docs

How to swap music in levels.

Posted in Support
Please login to contribute to the conversation.
[deleted user]
7 yrs ago (Statistics)
Hello Donut Team community,

After seeing Loren's tutorial on one thread, I'd thought would show the world how to change music in Hit & Run.

Firstly, you must have a Meta.ini with CustomFiles enabled as a Required Hack. Then we can begin.

Step one: Covering our rear ends first.

First we must write in our file in CustomFiles.ini to use [PathRedirections] in our file to define the redirection to our custom RMS file in the game.

Then you must use Lucas RCF Explorer to extract the RMS file you wish to edit inside music01.rcf

Then place the RMS file in a structure in CustomFiles folder similar to the RCF file.
CustomFiles\sound\music\level*.rms

Step two: hex editing! (oh boy!)

Now we must use a hex editing tool to open the RMS file you extracted. I would recomend HxD

Now we open your custom RMS file in HxD, and have this list open to find the music you intend to replace. And make a Music Revisions file, it will help you keep track of what you changed.

Now open your custom RMS file in HxD, and use the list to find what track you want to change. Then use the search and replace function and find the value you intend to replace. Then replace it with the hex value that you are replacing with. Viola, it is done.
note: you will need to replace the cues for the song too, like Drama, intro, etc.

Step three: testing, rinse, repeat

Now just fire up your mod and test to see if the changes worked.

Credits: Loren Goodwin: first tutorial
Lucas Cardellini: tools
Hipporeno: Tutorial.

This will need more polishing, expect it!
And of course, there's that part that stumps us the most: reversing the order of the hex values of the custom music file's size and replacing the values of the original file's size...
[deleted user]
7 yrs ago (Statistics)
@SomeBot somehow I never needed to do this though, then again I'm just talking about switching, not new songs though.
If you're adding a new music track, you need to reverse the order of the hex values. If you're using something already in the game, you don't need to if you get it from the list.
I'm trying to replace otto_chase with bollywood_01.
I replace the otto_chase hex values with bollywood_01s, and in-game the music doesn't change.
Do I have to change the names of the songs in the RMS file too?
[deleted user]
7 yrs ago (Statistics)
did you place in CustomFiles.ini a Path Redirection that has a path to the custom RMS file? You have to make folders similar to the RCF file you extracted the RMS file from.

cheers,

hipporeno
Yeah, I've done that as well.
I know it's loading the file, because it's crashed when I tried replacing the names of the songs into the RMS file. :p
[deleted user]
7 yrs ago (Statistics)
You should not change the names, just the hex values.

EDIT: in fact, DO NOT CHANGE THE NAMES.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this requires no new RSD files when attempting to play a different track from the game? My method involved replacing RSD files, even if the track I'm replacing with is already from the game.
Hipporeno, your first step is redundant. You don't need to redirect the file to the same file.